Centre for Social Inclusion And Minority Rights
VISION AND MISSION
To commit to Liberty, Equality, Dignity and ensuring Access to Justice for all and building fraternity with the view of unity and integrity of the Nation….
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES:
Under Current Plan guidelines of the UGC, Centre for Social Inclusion and Minority Rights has been created by the University, with adequate logistics and resources. To make the Indian society truly egalitarian, the institutions of higher learning need to address the issues of social exclusion and inclusion. The primary space where ‘Exclusion’ can be studied understood and first transcended are the universities. NLU Delhi, as understood is ready to act as a beacon for the society. As the UGC has already decided to support research on the issue of “social exclusion based on caste, ethnicity, gender or religion” which has theoretical as well as policy implications, the focus of such researches is social exclusion related to Dalits, tribal and religious minorities. The idea behind the Center is to establish a teaching-cum-research centre in National Law University (NLU), Delhi to pursue this noble cause.
The Centre has a plan to carry out research and teaching in the area of Social Exclusion, Discriminatory Studies and Inclusive Policies. The Center concentrates on conceptualizing various phenomena, laws, policies and processes of social exclusion based on caste, ethnicity, gender and religion and contextualizing discrimination and social disabilities generated thereby. The focus of the Centre is to understand the nature, dynamics and various angularities of exclusion and discrimination at both theoretical and empirical levels with holistic perspective of policy implications. The concern of the Centre is to generate database through intensive empirical researches on the identified marginalized subaltern communities of the society and to deal with their fundamental issues and concerns through the institutional endeavors. Finally, the Center also commits itself to devise suitable policies of social inclusion eradicating the problems of social exclusion, discrimination and thereby protecting the rights of the identified marginalized subaltern communities. The Center indeed seeks to make institutional endeavors towards social empowerment of these communities.
- Conceptualizing exclusion and discrimination based on caste, ethnicity, gender and religion.
- Developing understanding of the nature, dynamics and various angularities of exclusion and discrimination both at theoretical and empirical levels.
- Conceptualizing various phenomena, laws, policies and processes of social exclusion based on caste, ethnicity, gender and religion and contextualizing discrimination and social disabilities.
- Generate data base on exclusion and inclusion.
- Formulating suitable policies for protecting the rights of these groups dealing with their issues and concerns.
FUNCTIONS AND ACTIVITIES:
The type of intellectual activities that the Centre is engaged in-
- Collecting information on social Exclusion and minority rights and building up a database through intensive empirical researches.
- Carrying out detailed analyses based on the socio-economic data generated by government agencies.
- Policy Intervention through active academics and research engagements
- Organizing regularly conferences, seminars and symposia on the theme of Social Exclusion and minority rights.
- Publishing regularly the research finding of the Faculty and students.
- Organizing public lectures on the subject by eminent scholars
- Reaching out to scholars, especially young scholars working on the subject in other institutions and inviting them as visiting faculty.
- Establishing links with civil society organization engaged in combating Social Exclusion.
- Short-term Orientation courses for state and non state actors.
PROGRAMMES FOR TEACHING AND RESEARCH:
M. Phil and Ph. D Programmes
* Undertaking courses at the M. Phil and Ph.D. level programmes in studies of Social Exclusion, Minority Rights and Inclusive Policies.
CONTINUEING ACTIVITIES OF THE CENTER:
- Undertaking research projects from various national and international agencies.
- Organizing National and International conferences/workshops/seminars.
- Publication of articles and books
- Exchange of faculty with other Universities within India and abroad
COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND NETWORKING:
Networking with Research institutions, Govt. agencies, universities, grass root social movements, NGOs and civil societies at national and international levels.